Friday, August 6, 2010

Getting Into a Dementia Patient’s Head from Comfort Keepers Elder Care in Troy, MO

When I had my training as an Alzheimer's caregiver I was told that I would never win an argument with someone with dementia. If they don't remember something then it never happened, if they know they still live in the apartment they had before they bought the house in 1949 well, then they still live there. (This was what my mother-in-law thought although she knew my husband was her son and who I was she had no recolection of the house she had lived in for 50 years).

I was told that I had to live their reality as much as safety would allow and the following story from one caregiver illistrates this beautifully.

A Caregiver's Personal Story: Getting Into a Dementia Patient’s Head

No comments:

Post a Comment